Friday, August 10, 2007

Tanned, rested, ready

Greetings.

What a week! I am completely rested and ready to move forward with the paddle. Yee haw!

From here, I will head back Downstream on the Clyde River, with Richford, VT in my sights.

Directionally, this would be considered a flip flop. To go Northbound, I would have continued paddling Upstream on the Missisiquoi River from Richford, VT, to East Richford, VT (Border town) into Canada. Grand Portage a 5.3 mile portage into Lake Memphremagogg, down the Lake back into the USA to the town of Newport. Then continue Upstream on the Clyde River to where I am at now, Island Pond, VT.

For the sake of time I am choosing to flip this section, 79 miles, so that I can paddle Downstream.

Once I have made it back to Richford, VT I will try to negotiate a ride back to Island Pond, VT where I would continue North, paddling Downstream, for the moment, on the Nulhegan River. If this river is still low, I will skip the section and try to get a ride to North Stratford, NH where I can paddle Downstream on the Conneticut River, which is a bigger water way than the Clyde River or Nulhegan. From North Stratford, NH I have approximately 20 miles Downstream on the Conneticut River to the Amanoosic River where I begin paddling Upsteam again to the Androscoggin River, also upstream to Umbagog Lake, ME.

My fingers are crossed that I can make good time, and make it down the Clyde River without wrong turns or directional challenges!

I will continue paddling until around the first of September. And I have come to terms with the possibility of running out of time and not completing the entire NFCT. But I have not given up and am ready to really push the envelope. It is very important that I finish a thru hike of the Appalachian Trail this year, all 2174 miles, my way as I came up 100 miles short in 2005.

Temperatures are getting cooler at night.

I look forward to seeing again my friends on the AT. Thanks PADDY-O for your help! Thanks ROB, CARLYNN, PACE, GREEN BEAN, HI POCKETS, CROSS STITCH, BRICKLAYER, SPOONMAN, PHOENIX RISING, MOM AND DAD for all your support.
So I will be looking for folks that might be able to help with shuttling in Maine in the coming future.

Please note that I have added Pictures to the trailjournal. Please feel free to leave a comment. Thanks Rob, the blog looks AWESOME!

One more note, for future NOBO NFCT paddlers, Island Pond, VT is a great place to layover a day or two. You can get affordable lodging at Clyde River Hotel and there are many eateries and resupply opportunities within a short walk from the hotel. Plus, the Clyde River is next door.

Thanks Danny and Ethel!

Happy Trails and Be Well.
Totally Different Subject aka Jason Bivin

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Open the poll back up...Yeee Haw!