Wednesday, August 15, 2007

August 10, 2007

8-10-07.

13 miles NORTH of Island Pond, VT, by water. Headed Downstream on Clyde River back to Richford, VT.

It feels good to be back on the water. It also feels good to know where I am. This time, I made the correct turn down the very narrow right channel after the tubes. The river did open up and the paddle through the bog was neat!

I canoed right past a blue heron and was so close that the bird could have turned and lunged at me. I would have gotten pecked to death, eh. It was cool to see the birds eyes.
I left Island Pond around 2pm and made great time, about 2.5 mph which feels much better than 1mph or less.

The four nights I spent in Island Pond were relaxing and I slept alot. The town folk were friendly and made me feel at home. Clyde River Hotel was homebase during the longgggg zero days. Ethel made great coffee each morning and was always a great resource. I enjoyed hearing about the river from Danny, the owner of the hotel.

A big Thank You to Mary Jo and Gang at the Bank. They helped me out in a time of great need.
Dinner is almost finished and I am looking forward to making some miles in the near future.
The nights are noticeably cooler, which make for great sleeps. In the not so distant future I will need to switch out sleeping bags and go with ye ol Western Mountaineering 20 degree. The water is also much cooler than a week ago. I wonder if this is because of the rain or if its just where the water is?

Thanks Pace, Green Bean and Hi Pockets for sifting through boxes to find my Birth Cert and ID.
Thanks Jenn, at NFCT, for your words of encouragement at a time I needed them most!
Tomorrow I am hoping to make it into Canada which will be a 20 plus mile day. I'm gonna need a bunch of 20 milers to make it.

One more thing...Go John Daly!! Hopefully you will go all the way this weekend and win your 2nd PGA Championship. If he does, he will have won both on Oklahoma soil.

Thank you Dick Wolfe, TNT and USA for daily mini marathons of Law & Order.

I just learned that a great friend is joining the Army National Guard. Congrats and Best wishes. My thoughts and prayers will be with you and your family.

Happy Trails,
Totally Different Subject

No comments: