Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Bear - The Morning After

8-20-07

Its 9:20am , I just woke up and am still in the sleeping bag. It got cold last night and if like the night before down in the 30's. I am with a 40 degree bag and a silky. With long johns, socks, stocking cap and down jacket on I still was cold. But no more bear encounters. Food bag still in tact besides the lousy hanging job.

This cold spell is making me nervous. If this change in temperatures remains then I wonder if there will be enough time to finish. Its late August and with 5.5 maps to go on the paddle and 800 miles left to hike I figure I’ll be at this into November. Hopefully, this is just a cold front and warmer temps will come back for awhile before fall sets in, in earnest.

There is an open air privy here and it will get used before I break camp.

More later today...

8-20-07...still. Ammonoosic River, close to red dam, which is being taken down. I will not have to portage around this one, just paddle through the open gates. 16 long, hard miles today.

On the water by 11am. Late. My neck is killing me. Took ibuprophen this morning. First time all paddle.

The river was shallow and meandering in the beginning and surprisingly pushy. Eventually it opened up but remained shallow. Scratchy paddling, lots of walking my canoe and many trees in river.

My good Sawyer bent paddle may have seen its last day. Too bad. I loved it. My backup paddle, well a backup and short.

I saw a lone loon this afternoon. She almost seemed tame as she let me get very close, within ten feet. Don’t get me wrong, it was a narrow part of the river and I pulled over but she would not move. I took pictures but they did not come out good. My camera needs some work, maybe a lens buffing and the guts air dusted or perhaps trashed. It was so cool being that close to that bird. Its like we bonded. Loons are much bigger than you would think. Their black and white color

Against the water makes them appear much smaller. She had red eyes and seemed to yawn several times, I knew exactly what she meant. No kidding, but at one point she stuck her leg back and out of the water. Unbelievable and I wonder why that. A treasurable moment to say the least.

Percy Peaks and Devils Slide stole the scenery award today.

Not much more to report. Not sure whether I will paddle North up Connecticut River, hitch a ride north to do Connecticut downstream or skip it and go back to Maine. Time is running out and my nightmares are about running out of weather on the Appalachian Trail.

Walked into Groveton, NH for dinner. Meatball sub, french fries, Coke and a couple innings of the Red Sox vs TB Rays.

Happy Trails,
Totally Different Subject

No comments: