Wednesday, August 15, 2007

August 14, 2007

Ed. Note -- due to popular demand, the poll has been re-opened. Friday is the last day, so as they say in Chicago, vote early and vote often!
-rg

8-14-07.
from richford, vt. attempting to secure ride from here to Rangley, ME so I can do that section do1wnstream.

the morning of 8-12-07 I awoke to the sound of bacon frying and eggs cracking. Bill and Jean were making breakfast. remember, they offered me a piece of their rv site at Prouty Beach, the Southern part of Lake Memphremagog, because all the tent sites were taken. Bill, Jean and I had a nice breakfast and visit. Bill grew up right across the lake from where they were camping. we said our goodbyes and I paddled off.

Lake Memphremagog was huge and much bigger than I expected. The water was nice and cool and fairly calm. Wind out of the South but shifted and picked up as the day passed. There were TONS of motorboaters, ski-doo'ers and sailboaters on the water today, Sunday. many folks were also out in canoes and kayaks.

I crossed over to the Western shore first thing. The views In all directions were breathtaking. Mountains surrounded the lake and ridgelines in the distance were visible.
It was hot and I went through what seemed a ton of water. Sunblock slathering was how I spent rest breaks.

At the Canadian border, I phoned to report my entrance. Nobody was at Customs. They were nice and mentioned that only a few people ever enter here in a canoe.
Once across the border the lake shore homes decreased significantly in numbers.
I saw one loon today but was not able to get a great view and a picture might not have captured his likeness. I say "his" but it may have been "her".

The further North I paddled the rougher the water got, but hey if I can paddle across Lake Champlain...

Perkins Landing, Canada was where I stopped to wash my canoe, recieve a permit, filled waterb bottles and began the 5.7 mile Grand Portage to pick up the North branch of the Missisiquoi River. What work this was. The portage was over roads, not rocky tricky trails. It took 3 hrs and 40 minutes and I took 4 breaks. I might have relented and accepted a ride had one been offered but in the end I am proud that I survived.

I camped just after getting back on the river.

It stormed that evening. I got up, grabbed the rainfly and staked it down. The lightning, thunder and rain kept up for sometime. It was still storming when I fell back asleep but had stopped by morning.

With the sun out and a breeze I packed up wet and began the day hoping to make the 23 miles into Richford, VT.

Happy Trails,
Totally Different Subject

No comments: