Wednesday, August 15, 2007

August 13, 2007

8-13-07.

Richford, VT. Maps 1-5 completed and but for 18 miles on the Nulhegan River Map 6 is complete.

This day was a nice, swift ride downstream on the Missisiquoi River.

I stopped in the town of Mansonville for breakfast, coffee and water. What a great place for paddlers to stop. They had everything we need plus the folks were so nice and friendly.
I had a western omelet, add ham, homefries, toast and marmalade and coffee. DE-licious!
From here the river was nice and shortly I arrived at the Missisiquoi confluence. Smooth, quick water from here. An occasional island afforded me the chance to pick the side that might be deeper and faster.

A few rapids this day but the water levels were low. The last couple miles into Richford made for some scratchy paddling.

I stopped and reported back into the United States of America, at the village of East Richford, VT. The Border Patrol folks were nice and my check-in did not last long.
I got back to Richford about sunset, talked to some kids in the park who were riding bikes, put more clothes on and headed for dinner and a beer at the Ricochet Bar and Grille. Blackened Chicken strips and fries. Um, mum!

Today I met Carol and Jo at Vermont Peak Properties while looking for a ride to Rangley, ME so I can do the section downstream, from East to West or SOBO. Carol and I visited about the Appalachian Trail and NFCT.

I met Amber and Jill at the Richford House of Pizza, where they serve breakfast. They are helping with finding a ride and are also great folks.

For me to finish both trails and with time running out I have decided to attempt all remaining sections of the paddle downstream. This will require help with shuttling and such. If I can finish the paddle by September 10, get to Baxter State Park by September 15, I might have a chance to get through Maine and New Hampshire before the weather turns cold, wet and snowy. If I have to snowshoe through Vermont, well, I have the snowshoes. But I will be praying to Mother Nature for favorable weather and a mild Fall and early Winter!

What a journey this has been! I am so fortunate. It was nice to visit with HUNGUS who is taking some time off the AT to be with a friend. Good hearing from NOT YET and PACE HI POCKET and GREEN BEAN. And Thank You BRICKLAYER for the Prince song.

Happy Trails,
Totally Different Subject

No comments: