Wednesday, August 22, 2007

August 16, 2007

Ed. note - TDS has been using the terrific email device Pocketmail, so he transmits journals via cellphone every few days. So in case you're wondering why this entry is from 8/22 but dated 8/16, he writes these while he's on the trail, but we ususally get them in big batches. -rg

8-16-07.

From somewhere alongside the 3.2 mile portage from lower Richardson Lake, ME to Lake Umbagog, ME. 18.5 miles today.

Its pouring now, the lightning and thunder are in full tilt and rain is pooling at the perimeter of my rain fly. It started around 5:45pm and that is when I made my camp. No, I am not at a designated pay-for tent site on privately owned land. Thank God, I did not make it to Lake Umbagog, NH today, for their tent sites require a 3 day advance reservation.

Oh well such is life.

Mount Washington, NH in the White Mountains was visible today. It would have been awesome to be up there with clear skies and no rain. In fact, today I saw more of Mt. Washington then when I hiked over back in 2005. Again, the views were spectacular today.

Yesterday I noticed 4 loons hanging out in the lake. Maybe they were hunting food as a group because one of them was always on guard duty while the others submerged their heads or dived. It would have been great to have gotten closer. Today a lone loon lifted itself from the water, stretched and flapped its wings. How graceful and to see those wings spanned.

Also today I observed a seagull following right behind a loon. Almost like the seagull was trying to pick a fight. Pretty funny. Ol' loony kept diving and breaching and the seagull just kept following, never getting more than 10 ft behind.

Dinner is cooking now. Stove is going in the vestibule and rain keeps splattering into the stove and putting it out. Haha. 3 times I started the stove before I figured out what was happening.The water on Lake Mooselookmeguntic, ME was smooth and very accepting of my paddle. Made very good time. Amazing how drastic changes in the surface can be and how quickly. Just a 250 yard portage around upper dam into upper Richardson Lake and the surface conditions were choppy, with at least 2 ft waves. Nothing like Lake Mooselookmeguntic just minutes earlier.Wind against me for the rest of the day. But occasionally the wind would abate.

Tough paddling but I still made it through and in pretty good time.

The rain rinsed my keen water sandals. Next time I’ll rub a little dr. bronner's hemp soap in so they get washed.

A lot of my gear smells mildewy lately. Gosh, I hope it’s the gear and not me. It’s been awhile since I saw a shower.

Teriyaki noodles with veggies tonight for dinner. Another tasty dish by Liptons/ knorrs. Add bread and water.

Added duct tape and another "back-up" paddle before hitting the water.

The red squirrels around here do not have bushy tails.

Yes I am carrying dr. bronners soap. However, I have only used it while in towns.

To NH tomorrow by way of Lake Umbagog and down the Androskoggin river.

The AT is not too far from where I paddled today and when I was in Rangeley, me yesterday there were no hikers.

Time for dinner.
Happy Trails,
Totally Different Subject

No comments: