Monday, October 29, 2007

October 24, 2007

10-24-07. Glencliffe, NH. SOBO mile:398.5. Hikers Welcome Hostel. 10 trail miles hiked, 16 total mies hiked.

You ever hear of anyone climbing Mt. Mooselauke twice in one day? Well, I did. From the top of Moosilauke I took the wrong trail. I was not too concerned with the lack of white blazes. For one, I was too busy looking at the trail and the blazing through New Hampshire has@ been poor and inconsistent. Blazing may not be a top priority for the AMC. It is much easier to just collect fees...

So finally I realized I was going down but on the wrong trail. Heading back I hoped that the next trail sign would put me back on course. It did, but not until I got to the summit of Moosilauke. Three plus hours spent blue blazing. Nixed my plan of blowing through here and getting another 6-7 miles in.

I spent a night and a zero day at Chets Place in Lincoln, NH. What a great guy, a great story and a great hostel. Best of luck.

Mail boxes retrieved from the Post Office and I am readying myself for th1e trail. It is so tempting to stay with all the movies, tv and general relaxed atmosphere. Fedge is running the place for Pack Rat. Phatt Chapp is gone for the season and this hostel is the same as it was in 2005 with less beer.

My ankle is back to 80% as I turned it coming down the mountain yesterday. I have some swelling and took two Aleve last night. However, the trail will now get easier.

Mt. Moosilauke is a very beautiful mountain. It is the last time SOBO's are above treeline and it is the only mountain in NH, along the AT, that has a bald on top. The weather was beautiful and visibility fine. Heck, there was even sun shining through the moving clouds as I snacked.

Hanover, NH by Saturday morning.
Happy Trails,
Totally Different Subject

No comments: