Tuesday, October 23, 2007

October 16, 2007

10-16-07, 3:50pm, Osgood tentsite (2550'), SOBO mile:323.8, 4.8 miles hiked today.

Injury Update: After hiking today, first day since last Tuesday, my ankle felt pretty good. Not 100% but I'd say 65- 75%. The hike today was good physical therapy. I tested my right ankles' durability, flexibility and general strength today. The results were much better than I expected. My ankle got sorer as the day moved on. This is no surprise.

I need to continue moving surely, cautiously and slower for the next several days. This will allow for healing and my ankle will if I can keep from reaggravating the sprain.

Swelling is now isolated to the impact area of my ankle, on the outter side near the knoblike bone.

I took no pain relievers today during the hike. Just now I took 2 Aleve hoping for anti-imflamatory effects. In another effort to reduce swelling I wrapped my ankle in a 3"Ace brand bandage.

Tommorow, will be a good test with an immediate 2800' climb up to Mt. Madison and then up and down the exposed ridgeline to Mt. Washington.

The chimpmunks are so fat, they do not move very quick. In fact, if I wanted, I could easily have chimpmunk stew for dinner. Beef Stroganoff sounds more to my liking. They better leave my big food bags alone.

There is snow above treeline. From Mt Madison all the way to Mt Washington I can see snow. The temps are getting colder now. Freezing nights and mornings. However, I have heard the tomorrow should be very nice up high. I am hoping for several more days of nice hiking weather.

The Barn had shut down for the season by the time I got to Gorham from Pinkham Notch with a bad ankle and I refused to stay at Hikers Paradise so I settled into my new room/home at the Gorham Motor Inn. Seven nights I slept there so I was very ready to leave.

Antsy to go hike, excited about Mt Washington and the Presidentials and nervous about my ankle I grabbed my backpack and poles, said goodbye to Golden Waldow and moved towards the trail from Pinkham notch. Golden Waldow spends his Summers up in Gorham to help shuttle hikers. He had given me a ride to the trail via a grocery store stop and a new shoes stop.

I have a solid 5 days worth of food and new shoes. My North Face trailrunners lasted from Monson, ME to Pinkham Notch, NH ...204 miles. My new shoes are Merrell Chameleon Wrap leather brown. Leather uppers, no GoreTex, same Chameleon body and Vibram tread. Feels great, no break-in time. Low cut.

Almost dinner time.

Happy Trails,
Totally Different Subject

No comments: