Wednesday, October 10, 2007

October 10, 2007 - Gorham, NH

10-10-07. From Gorham. SOBO mile: 319, Pinkham Notch.

Well, I rolled my ankle pretty badly coming down the steep Wildcat mtn, peak E. Rolling my ankle(s) is something that occurs regularly but this time it was bad. Once I felt my foot fold underneath the ankle, I fell and slid down a slab of rock. I was able to get up and hike the couple miles to the AMC Visitor Center at Pinkham Notch. My ankle was swelling and it was pretty obvious that some ice, ibuprophen and several days off were in my immediate future. At the AMC Visitor center I met Laces and Parkbench, who met in 2006 while thru hiking, and they gave me a ride into Gorham. Laces worked as a caretaker this year in the White Mountains.

I hiked out of Gorham 10-8, after taking a zero day. I was very excited about hiking in the Whites and hoping for great weather. The weather forecast called for rain throughout the week, clearing by the weekend. I actually walked the 3.6 mile road walk back to the trail as I did not feel like trying to hitch. It was a nice walk and I enjoyed walking past the local golf course.

From the trailhead (1260') i began the climb up into the beginning of the Whites. The first big climb was up Mt. Moriah (4049') but I did get approximately six miles to climb the nearly 3000 feet. The weather was overcast, drizzly and cooler. It felt great to be on the trail. Falls colors continued its' brilliant display and I was thinking of Mt. Washington, the Presidential Range, Franconia Ridge. What would the weather have in store? Would I have great views?

With a belly full of town food and a days rest I eased up the mountain, stopping occasionally for a breather and to take in the spectacular views. The days are getting shorter now. I ended my 8 mile day at Imp shelter. What a great shelter! It had a loft, it was only inhabited by me and was as dark as Lake of the Clouds Dungeon. I slept like a log.

Thanks to Team Portland (Green Bean, Pace, Bricklayer, Cross Stitch and Hi Pockets), I had coffee and hot cocoa upon arriving at the shelter followed by a wonderful Mountain Home dinner-Jamaican Chicken with rice and beans. They sent other goodies that have supplemented my rather boring trail menu. THANKS you all! I love the food boxes you have sent too Mom and Dad!

10-9-07 I awoke to blue skies, few clouds and cool temps. What an excellent surprise I thought as it was supposed to be raining. Yeehaw! This was also important as I had the Wildcat peaks A-E of Wildcat mountain to do.

So a 1500' climb to the top of Carter Mountain (4530'), a nice ridge walk past North, Middle and South Carter peaks and then lunch at Zeta Pass (3990'). I was hiking efficiently but doing just under 2 mph.

There were some squirells and chimpmunks out playing. I noticed several birds and many moose tracks in the mud.

Another climb up from Zeta Pass to Mt. Hight (4675') and another short up to Carter Dome (4832'), a wooded summit. I took a short break here and visited with some day hikers. It had been a long day and it was already 2pm once I headed down to Carter Notch.

I had great views of Mt Washington, Mt Clay, Mt Jefferson and Mt Adams all day. This is a very impressive view when clear and I was fortunate. At 6288 feet, Mt Washington stands tall and its peak is unmistakable. I have never seen her so clearly and wondered and hoped that it would be the same once I stood atop of ye ol mountain. I took a ton of photos and several videos.

If I have not mentioned and you do not know, New Hampshire's Whites make for some of the toughest miles on the AT. Straight ups, straight downs, slabs of rock, boulders, roots help make the terrain dangerous. Add some moisture and hiking times slow way down. Sometimes, going downhill, my only option is to run as momentum would have it. During these times of crazed downhill dancing I must be ready and able to stop immediately and turn on a dime. This makes for some body (knee, ankle and feet) abuse. The difficulty makes the experience, "the" experience.

From Carter Notch (3390') I walked around the pond, near the hut, and begain the steep 1000 foot climb up to Wildcat Mountain Peak A (4380'). Once at Peak A a beautiful and scenic ridgewalk ensued as I had mild and short ups and downs across summitted Peaks B,C,D and finally E.

As I worked my way across Wildcat Mountain the blue skies gave way to clouds. However, the summit of Mt Washington was only covered up briefly and for most of the day I could see the whole mountain. On more than one occasion I wished I was up there then. So I began to hike with more purpose. The purpose was getting down to Pinkham Notch before the rain began.

There was an observation deck on top of Wildcat Peak D (4063') but I did
not stop to observe. Just before Wildcat Peak E (4041') the sound of a ski lift/ gondola caught my ear. it was actually running at 4:30pm and bringing folks up for the view. I continued.

Coming down Peak E was brutal. Straight down. At times I had to climb down boulders, other times I ran using trees and roots to stop. The trail was dry and difficult. With a tad under 2 miles to go, on a slab of steeply slanted rock I rolled my ankle. I could feel my right foot fold up under the ankle. This injury brought me down and I wound up sliding ten feet or so. I was able to get up and my instinct was to walk it off. However, this mountain was not the sidelines but I had no choice but to walk it off while hiking out. Fortunately, fortunately I was able to walk on it but the terrain made it a slow, painful and frustrating hike out. I made it to the AMC Visitor Center right at dark and was able to meet some good people- Laces and Parkbench 2006 AT thruhikers who drove me into Gorham. Thanks guys! Got checked into the Gorham Motor Lodge, got some food and began the icing of my ankle which had swelled to the size of a baseball. Doc had to temporarily shut down the Barn to tend to an issue with his other b&b, The Black Swan Inn.

It is 7:56am, 10-10, and I am maxing out the Aleve and Advil doses. Come to think of it I am out and wil have to get some more soon. I am icing and elevating my foot now and the swelling has simmered down abit. I can walk...er limp now and do have some pain. I will take today, tomorrow and perhaps another day off the foot before heading back to tackle Mt. Washington and The Presidentials. Currently, I see no reason to see a Doctor.
More later

Happy Trails,
Totally Different Subject
http://www.totallydifferentsubject.blogspot.com

No comments: