Monday, October 8, 2007

October 4, 2007

10-4...good buddie, actually its 3:14am 10-5 Friday. From Full Goose Shelter, ME, less than 5 miles from ME/NH border. 10 and some change today...a tough 10 miles up Old Speck, down the Mahoosic Arm, through the Mahoosic Notch, up Fulling Mill mtn (south peak of Goose Eye mtn).

My legs are sore and I have been sneezing like a cat since Andover. Today I saw two people. Both were AMC employees hiking. We visited for a bit and they knew CuppaJoe (AT 05 NOBO). They are all planning an 08 PCT hike.

I went through the Notch pretty quickly, stopping once for a snack, a smoke and some water.

The weather today was again amazing. Sunny, clear skies and warm. The temperature read 68 degrees this morning at a kiosk in the parking lot of Grafton Notch.

I have been hiking in Maine now for nearly a month. The weather has been ideal, the Fall colors have been brilliant and the only moose I have seen was on a road and we were driving. Oh yea, there is a rotting moose in the Notch. The smell was horrid. I have taken five zero days here and all were warranted.

Gorham by Saturday morning to pick up food box and bounce box at the Post Office and maybe a care package from Team Portland aka Team Rob. Hopefully I will do some laundry there as my socks smell much like that dead moose!

White Crow and I stayed at this shelter last time through. There were a ton of people here then. Some section hikers and an Outing Club. I remember being put off by the noise and after the hoards of weekend warriors in New Hampshire's White Mountains I would have loved to have arrived to an empty quiet shelter. This year I did. I am tenting but am the only one here.

I love Little Debbie snacks especially the big Texas sized cinnamon roll and their fried apple pie. Both have at least 420 calories per serving.

The stars are out tonight.

I have been singing REO Speedwagon songs lately. Sometimes outloud and other times just to myself.

Talked to Bricklayer and Spoonman today while taking a break on Old Speck. Hopefully, Danni Wingfoot won't be too upset with me. Brick and I talked football which made me miss it even more. But I can hike around the NFL. I have seen all but one Monday Night Football game and I will be in Gorham on Saturday. If care package from Team Portland isnt there then I will zero Sunday, watch football, pickup box Monday on way out of town...

Until next time, cheers!
Happy Trails,

Totally Different Subject

Ed. note: Jakeleg, I didn't publish your comments because you had some private info in there, but rest assued that they have been sent to TDS. -rg

No comments: