Friday, November 2, 2007

October 28, 2007

10-28-07, from my tent just shy of Thistle Hill shelter, Vermont. Approx SOBO mile:455.9.

The trail crossed the Conneticut River by bridge. I exhaled a sigh
of relief, glad to be in Vermont, glad to have made it through NH and ME, glad to be walking with Fall. Over the next several miles the trail was a road. I passed under I-91 then walked through Norwich, VT until the woods appeared. It was nice to be walking in the crisp dry breeze. The colors are still all around despite the recent dumping of leaves. Twig season. The hike was very pleasent and not tough.

I left the Leadyard Canoe clubhouse and picked up the trail at 12:09pm. Osprey, his sister Anna and I had breakfast at Dartmoths food court before I split to do last minute ressupply. Breakfast was awesome and included waffle, breakfast burrito, hashbrowns and coffee. I also picked up some Tylenol Cold and Flu tabs as I try to fight off a cold. It's really almost just like allergies.

It is dryer here. Lots of pine. In fact, I am camping in a stand of pine. Nice pine needles offer another layer of padding and insulation from the grounds chill. The wind is blowing and some trees are knocking into other trees.

If the trail's level of difficulty/ease remains similiar I should make good time through Vermont. Only 438.6 miles to Deleware Water Gap and that number should shrink to roughly 385 by Halloween eve...l

For dinner tonight I had butter&herb mashed potatoes, add shredded cheese and cheddar goldfish creackers, butterfinger crisp, water.

Friends Hungus and Earthquake are meeting me to hike for a week. We all hiked from NC through the Virginia's Shenandoahs before they got ahead. Hopefully, we will get a week of good weather to enjoy. They will drive up from Jersey and we'll meet up somewhere in MA or CT. Yeeehawww!

The Vibram sole on my leftside Merril Chameleon Leather Wrap trail shoes has mangled and split down the center of the heel several inches. These should be warrantied and I will call Merril when I next find cell phone reception.

My Etowah Outfitters nylon, square bottom reversible slack pack stuff sack and alcohol stove are still going strong. I use the stuff sack as my food bag and can turn it inside out and use as day pack. It nearly has 5000 trail miles of use. Thanks Chef Paul, of Etowah Outfitters, Georgia.

Happy Trails,
Totally Different Subject
http://www.totallydifferentsubject.blogspot.com

No comments: