Saturday, November 17, 2007

November 5, 2007

11-5-07. tenting at Black Brook, VT. SOBO mile: 556.3. 18.5 miles hiked today.

Last minute errands, a breakfast sandwich, some coffee and away I went back to the trail this morning. Yesterday was a zero day. I relaxed at the Avalanche Motel in Manchester Center, VT. It was nice to have hot showers, a tv and Bobs Diner next door. The hotel was outside of town so once I walked from EMS, in town, to the Avalanche I pretty much stayed put.

It was nice to watch NFL on Sunday. Adrien Peterson and the Minnesota Vikings looked great! They spanked Norv Turners San Diego "notso" Super Chargers. Peterson is fun to watch and I bet he is Rookie of the Year. The Patriots beat the Colts. But not by much and the Colts only finished with two Wide Recievers. They almost held on. Missed field goals and dropped passes don't win football games. I hope the Patriots and Colts meet again in the AFC Championship game. I lost a bet to Ricky "Bricklayer", I took Indy and the bounty- a pitcher of McMenamins Rubinator beer. It never bothers me losing a friendly wager when beer is up for grabs.

The EMS store was nice and full of goodies. I picked up some nylon repair tape, tent waterproofing dope, some Backpacker Pantry meels and an assortment of Clif bars. You should try the Cliff Nectar bars. The only ingredients are organic fruit and nuts. Nothing else.

From highway VT11/30 (1870') I began the 13 mile hike up to Stratton Moutain (3936'). Stratton is another "wooded summit". There are several of them here in Vermont. On top is an firetower and cabin that a Naturalist calls home during the season. The hike up was nice. The weather was great also. Blue skies and some clouds. The sun really warmed me up but the airs chill kept me from breaking very long or very frequently. Tonight the air temp, here at 2350', will dip into the 20's. Weather for tomorrow may bring showers/snow...in the am, per The Weather Channel's Bennington, VT are forecast.

Oh yea, I got another pair of gloves at EMS. Now I am carrying two pairs. One during the hike and a dry pair for camp or to replace wet gloves during the days hike. This is my glove system.

My Dad, Stan, and I will be hiking together for the last part of New Jersey. Hopefully, we will do the last sixty into Deleware Water Gap from Vernon, NJ. It will be nice to hike with Dad again on the AT and also to see how he likes the weather.

My food bag is full to the rim. For Dinner: Veggi Lasagne by Backpacker Pantry. I grabbed this one by mistake but it was good. Though, not as good as Stephanie "Green Bean"'s veggie chili.

I applied a coat of waterproofing dope to the floor of my tent. This should help. I will use repair tape to enclose another hole I burned in the tents noseeum netting. Just some minor repairs.

The sun ducked behind the mountain just before 5pm. I used my headlamp for the last 30 minutes this evening. Now it is pitch black and the stars are out.

Tommorow Glastenbury Mt (3540') and Little Pond Mt (3100'). About 35 miles to VT/MA border.

Have a great day and I hope all is well friends.


Happy Trails,
Totally Different Subject

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the shout out regarding my veggie chili! Yours isn't too shabby either.