Monday, April 2, 2007

Tellico Gap, part II

Greetings Friends, Family and Hiker Fans.... http: totallydifferentsubject.blogspot.com ((THANKS ROB and CARLYNN GORE!!!))

I hope you are well. It is raining (finally!) here in Franklin, NC. For the trail- I am at Tellico Gap, NC which is about 20 miles North of Franklin.

Not Guilty and I hiked together on and off in 2005. He is out here hiking and I knew that there was a chance I would eventually catch him. As I hiked North, I continued to see his Shelter Register Postings and each day the distance between us was narrowing. Finally, just a few miles South of Winding Stair Gap, we met at Rock Gap Shelter. We had a nice afternoon visiting. That night we stayed in the shelter...but nobody slept. Can we say SNORING and TOSSING/TURNING. So we were all glad to be in Franklin where good sleeps were waiting.

Here I ran into Scholar. She is out here hiking again and yes, we met on the AT in 2005. We had a nice time catching up! Many other familiar faces and friends in attendance for Ron Havens Hikers Fools Day party. We listened to a blue grass band sing and play Merle Haggard, George Jones, Waylon, Bob Wills,...We had barbeque and beer and tons of laughs. Thanks Ron! What a great party.

I have not felt a drop of rain while hiking this year. But that is about to change....like today and tomorrow. We have watched a bit about the storms in the Midwest and I would love to have some thunderstorms on the trail. It has been warm and there were a couple days over 90.

No bears, no deer, no eagle sightings. Hikers have seen them though.

Physically, I feel great and fortunate.

The wildflowers are starting to rise from the leaves. And perhaps the rain we have had in the last several days is enough to start bringing out the color.

I am hoping to be heading into the Great Smokies, TN Tuesday or maybe Wednesday. Last year Green Bean and I hiked through the Smokies and they were gorgeous and dry, with no snow. I hope to have another great experience in those mountains.

Best of luck to all that are hiking this year. We truly have the greatest job. Thanks for everyones help and I think of you all often.

Happy Trails, Jason Bivin aka Totally Different Subject (TDS)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Jason, looks like you are making good time and having a good time too. I love the maps and other informative items you have added to the blog.

The Hangover Cure had its debute on Friday (3/30), wish you could have been there. I can't wait to tell you about it.

Keep up the good work,
Matt