Monday, April 23, 2007

Greetings Hiking Fans! And how are you today? From Erwin, TN. Ms Janets Bunk and Breakfast. Mile: 338.7.

What a great stretch of trail from Hot Springs, NC to Erwin, TN. and if memory serves me, then the trail only gets more beautiful.

It is so nice to hear from everyone! Thank you for taking the time to drop a note. Your notes remind me of great times, great experiences and great people. I hope to see you all one day, down the trail.

Thank you TEAM PORTLAND- Green Bean, Hi Pockets, Cross Stitch, Pace and Bricklayer!

Thank you TEAM MINNESOTA- Rob, Carlynn, Gabe and Sam.

Leaving Hot Springs,NC is always a hard thing to do. But one has to hike North. I was heading towards Mt. Rich Firetower, approximately 9 miles North, hoping that the firetower would be open so that we might camp in the observation deck. No such luck. The rain had picked up and I needed to get my tent pitched. So I found an area behind the firetower and then began the evening routine of making shelter, drying out, eating and ultimately sleep.

The next morning I felt wet and the rain had not let up. Basically, everything I had was wet. How cool would it be for the sun to appear so that I could dry gear before departing I thought? So I stayed in the sleeping bag hoping for the sun. By 10am, I realized that the sun coming out was just a dream. So, wet I headed North. The rain continued.

Later that afternoon I stopped to visit with FAL and HERCULES. We visited and they served food for several hours. As we talked the rain turned to snow. On a full stomach and some partially dried clothes I headed up the hill. The snow began to stick and freeze to my clothes and as wet as I was, it was difficult keeping warm despite hiking uphill.

Just three miles shy of the shelter I walked to Hemlock Hollow Farm, from Log Cabin Road.

Boy was I happy to find this place and that there was room for a wet and cold hiker. What a great place! They had everything a hiker could need. Plus, great coffee and all sorts of resupply food. We shared coffee and stories the next morning before I headed off.

The weather was nice and warmer the next morning. I said goodbye and started hiking towards Erwin, TN.

Gandalf and I hiked the remaining several days into Erwin, TN. The weather was much better and the views were excellent. The trail condition is great and we only see blowdown occasionally.
More and more wildlife can be seen as of late. Things are starting to green up. I have been having fun, finding ramps and then using them in my cooking. Ramps are like onion bulbs with a garlic-like taste. I use the greens as well.

The terrain is always changing but the one constant- there are always Ups and Downs. I am loving hiking over the balds. Walking along the trail over the balds gives you a chance for marvelous views. Often providing 360 degree views.

It is so beautiful. Often times, I enjoy just stopping to take in a view, listening to the woods or watching a bird.

No bear sightings yet. No venomous snakes.

Virginia here I come!

My friend White Crow is ahead. Scholar is here in Erwin. Not Guilty is abit behind. Not Yet is ahead. Spoonman is on his way up from South Carolina for a visit. We are heading in a mile or so.

I am meeting all sorts of great people and getting to spend time with hikers I met in 2005.

Thanks Green Bean, Robko, Stan, Hi Pockets, Cross Stitch, Bricklayer, Pace. Speedy recovery to Pace and Mike back in Portland, OR.

Totally Different Subject

2 comments:

Amy Brings said...

Jason,

The trail sounds great. Talk of the balds makes me miss NC. Glad you were able to dry off and get a good cup of joe. Let me know when and where to send some fuel - the girls are ready to start baking :)

Love,
Amy

Elise said...

I am having such fun living through you! I want more pictures though!!