Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Updates via Pocketmail

My apologies to TDS for not posting these sooner -- working on my final project for John Rash's excellent course on Media Planning. - rg

7-24-07
MILE: approx 113. NY.

Right now it is raining 7:15pm. camping on East side of Saranac River approx 1 mile South of where Stord Brook enters from the East.

today was fun. fun but tough and a couple times spooky.

fun because i was fortunate enough to have sucess in navigating through several rapids (CL II and CL III). man, what a serious shot of adrenaline! going down Permanent Rapids made me come alive. every turn I stuck, every near miss, every time the water opened up and let me through was exhilerating.

Permanent Rapids is a series of three rapids that get faster and tougher the further down hill the river rushed. The first of many rapids to come heading downstream on Saranac River (Adirondack Park NY,USA).

Tough as nails, the river can be at times and then others she'll open up and let you through the gates. Like the narrow rock gate that I got through in todays second set of rapids-3.2 miles South of Tefft Pond portage. I did tip my canoe several times. Once, at beginning of Permanent Rapids when I just could not keep my balance and rocked to far over and twice after Tefft Pond Falls portage when I got so inundated with water from the ledges I swamped. Each time I was alble to recover quickly. However, the last two swamps came at a price. The toll came to one new paddle, 1 Part B AquMir, a bandana, a litre water jug, some scrapes and a little pain. But what a rush!

I stopped for the day around 6pm just as the rain started. The most crucial items stayed dry.
For dinner Chili freeze dried. Delicious. Big Oatmeal Choc M&M cookie for desert.
Sunny for all of day, clouds increasd as day wore on.

Many beavers and deer out on the river as I left Saranac Lake last night.

Happy Trails,
Totally Different Subject


07-25-07
Mile 42+43+44= 129. Day 10. Saranac River, NY. 1 mile South by river to the border of Adirondack Park. Elsinore, NY is border village.

A sore TDS says hello to all! The last couple days on the Saranac have beaten my body. Portaging around some falls and more tricky runs leave my ankles scratched. Turning over and swamping a canoe has left me at the mercy of the current and undertow. Even successful, quick and efficient recoveries can be painful and leave bruises. Walking around in the river whether to stop along shore, to carry my canoe upstream or over shallow, rocky water or to recover from a swamping have been hard on my feet. The Great News- Pain is temporary and Soreness is also.
Blue sunny skies today. The sun made it hot but the humidity seemed low. As the birds begin their dusk calls I still see no cloud in the sky and am hoping for stars tonight.

I was putting in following a 1 mile portage around High Falls Dam to avoid both the dam and then CL V-VI rapids. Suddenly I heard a couple guys ask me if I was paddling the NFCT. I said yes and Ben mentioned that they had just finished. The Wisconsin Two. Ben and Jesse started on June 11, 2007 and finished yesterday, July 24, 2007. Wow! What a trip to meet them on their way back home. They did it. We visited for an hour or so. I am very greatful to have recieved some pointers, trail conditions and recomendations.

CONGRATS BEN AND JESSE- THE WISCONSIN 2. Thanks for the venison jerky!

I swamped my canoe once today at the very end of the Seperator rapids. They were way to tricky for my skills so I portaged around but put in short of the trail end. I was doing fine, then I got turned backwards. No problem, so as I am looking backwards over my shoulder I hit one shoot on the money and got the momentum to begin turning myself back downsteam and then a rock prohibited me from making the full swing. And then the dream was over. The canoe full of water turned upside down and I exited stage left to find myself under water. Not for any time though and the water was deep enough that I kind of surfed downstream clutching my canoe, paddles, waterjug and was shortly sidelined to unswamp.

Tomorrow, there are several portages and some more rapids before I reach Plattsburg, NY. From where I camp to Plattsburg is approximately 19 miles.

Thinking about peanut butter next resupply...hate to carry the weight but need the protein and calories. Maybe even some bagels.

Thanks Dave. You were right on about the paddles.

Happy Trails,
Totally Different Subject


7-29-2007

From plattsburgh, ny I hit the waters after two days off. I definitely needed a rest. It turned out that the break gave me a chance to wait out some thunderstorms and rain.

The econolodge was my home for several days. it was a nice facility with all the amenities you would not expect at an economy class hotel like indoor/outdoor pool, continental breakfast, internet, great access to resteraunts and shopping.

I was anxious to go this morning with good weather and wind out of the North. So from Plattsburgh Boat Basin I headed out to tackle Lake Champlain.

The water was calm for the most part. One to three feet waves were not too bad and the wind really did not seem to pick up until late afternoon. The toughest part of the day was maneuvering around the many boats and ferrys that were going by and coming towards. The ferrys were only travelling to and from Cumberland Head and Grand Isle. This just happened to be where I crossed too. I made it and enjoyed all the sailboats.

From Grand Isle I hugged the shore and paddled North reaching Sisters Islands in good time and then turned East into The Gut. I am currently at Knight Point State Park and hope to stealth camp here.

The roughest water today was the last mile or so heading North along the shore of Grand Isle. Mainly I paddled into the waves at a 45 degree angle and it worked safely. In this stretched I often was torqued from wakes, wind and reverberting waves from crashing into the shore.
My canoe handled like a pro today and hopefully tomorrow will bring more mild weather so that we will stay dry.

Tonight for dinner...Mac and Cheese or Asian Sesame Lipton/Knorr noodles or stew?

Stay tuned.

The Wisconsin 2 gave me several pounds of venison jerky and it is awesome. I am loving it.

Happy Trails,
Totally Different Subject

No comments: