Friday, July 13, 2007

NOTE: Don't forget to scroll down for lots of pics from the trail!

Greetings friends, romans, countrymen...

Now for Phase II, the paddle. All updates moving forward, for a month or so, shall be about my paddle of the Northern Forest Canoe Trail.

So, I hiked from Springer Mountain, GA to Deleware Water Gap, PA from March 18,2007 to July 6, 2007. Appalachian Trail Miles: 1279.2. On my way in to the DWG, I ran into a friend- SnackBreak, who I had not seen since Bears Den Hostel in VA. We visited and hiked abit together before arriving at the great Church of the Mountain Hiker Hostel. There I cleaned and headed for a burger and beer at the Sycamore Grille with Bird Dog, Snack Break and newly made friend Archy. Archy spends more than half of his time living in New Zealand but was visiting family in the New Jersey area. He and SnackBreak had known each other for some time and he showed up on the Appalachian Trail to surprise her. We had a great time drinnking, eating and visiting. Dick Wizzard eventually showed up.

The following day, Archy drove me to Newark, NJ so that I could catch a bus ride down to Amicalola Falls, GA. My truck was there and I needed it to get back up to NY. How about the following as a base for a Country Western tune...A 20 hour busride, a $200 cab ride, a 12 mile hitch and a 10 mile road walk. You can probably figure the details but I am happy to explain. A 20 hour bus ride to Atlanta, GA, no biggie right? A cab ride from downtown GA to somewhere 30 miles from Amicalola Falls, GA at a cost of $198.00 sounds excessive, right? Well, had the cabbie gotten me to my truck, perhaps the cost would have been justified. I asked the cabbie to just drop me off so that I could walk the rest of the way, or hitch. But after paying the cab driver I was able to flag down a Pickens Country, GA Sheriff who informed me that I was nearly 30 miles from Amicalola Falls. He gave me a ride to the Pickens County border where I got out and walked the road to Amicalola Falls...without water, or even a jug to hold water. Who thought I'd be hiking? But I thought, Party On, and I made it.

Party On is a phrase Cody Lundin uses in his book, 98.6 Degrees: The Art of Keeping Your Ass Alive! Cody suggests that this phrase, "...is the most optimistic statement in the world, one in which there is no opposite, no opposing force. It is the ultimate attitude adjuster and contains great power if used with conviction." So this phrase will forever keep me going when the going gets tough.

The great staff at Amicalola Falls, GA greeted me and got me on my way. Thanks folks! So here is where the beginning of Phase II began. On the way up there I got a call from my great friend, White Crow, who was charging his phone battery at the truckstop just North of Duncannon, PA, off of US322/22. White Crow and I had one more laugh, one more gripe and several more beers before he took off from the trail North of Duncannon. It was great seeing White Crow again and knowing that I will likely see him again on the AT before my journey has concluded.

It took several days to arrive in upstate NY and as much time to adjust to the highways, masses of people, WalMarts, shopping malls and traffic jams. I spent a night camped in the Adirondack Park before heading across the border to Vermont. What a beautiful drive! This park is amazing and I feel so fortunate to be gearing up for a paddle that will take me the width of this park from West to East. Lake Champlain is our 6th largest lake and guess what, I will be crossing this beast in the near future on my way to Vermont. Finally, I arrived in Waitsfield, Vermont, home of the Northern Forest Canoe Trail organization. Jen, Sandy and Kate were there holding down the fort and we had a blast visiting and getting to know each other. The NFCT is a class act and model organization. Best of luck with your vision! Jen had all the answers to all of my questions and I feel that the time we shared was of the highest quality.

From Waitsfield, VT, a tired hiker/driver/paddler, set out for the final leg of this road trip to Old Forge, NY. On my way, I spent one more night in the Adirondacks, car camping. Golden Beach public area was the locale and during the night I heard the greatest outdoors noise - the call of loons. I also fell asleep to the sounds of waves crashing against the shore.

The temperatures are colder up here. And it has rained some everyday in the last three.
Steve and gang at Piragis Outfitters, in Ely, MN have been extremely helpful in providing advice and products for this trip. They even had my canoe and backpack shipped to an outfitter in Old Forge, NY- Mountainman Outfitters. The staff here at Mountainman Outfitters has made this final part much easier and I appreciate them holding my canoe. They also have lots of goodies that gearheads like myself should avoid until I win the Powerball. Just kidding, everything I have purchased has and will be needed.

Yesterday, I took my Bell Yellowstone Solo canoe for a ride. I put in at the Old Forge Pond and paddled to an island campsite between the First and Second Lakes of the Fulton Lake chain. Here I had lunch and dried out from an intended swamping of the canoe. I swamped the canoe while testing how far over I could lean. Thanks to a nearby dock, I pulled the canoe up and drained her before loading everything back up and pushing off. The whole trip was 5 miles and it felt great to be back on the water in a canoe.

Today, I am finalizing purchases, waiting for packages and just killing some time. I am hoping that Paris Hilton will hear about this adventure and contact me for a ride up North. hahaha.
I will be carrying a Granite Gear SOLO canoe/duluth pack on this trip. Steve Piragis of Piragis Outfitters, Ely, MN suggested he would not carry anything else. Heck, I did not even need to hear this as I know those boys up in Two Harbors, MN know how to make GREAT packs. I have carried a Granite Gear Nimbus Ozone pack over the last two hiking seasons. Thus far, I have approximately 2200 miles and she is poised for another. However, I am excited to see (and own) the 2008 updated Nimbus Ozone. The body is supposed to be comprised of a heavier nylon fabric then currently used. Yee Haw....do I really have to wait until 2008? How about Christmas 2007.

A sponsor has supplied me with a Pocketmail device. And hopefully this wonderful piece of technology will afford me a chance to keep you all updated with much greater frequency. Stay tuned.

Thanks to all those who have offered encouragement and support. Without you great people these types of adventures would be extremely difficult. Thanks Leki, Granite Gear, Bell, Sawyer, Etowah Outfitters, Keen and Outdoor Research.

Again, thanks so much to my man up North- Rob Gore. He has been managing my blog and doing a heckuva job, don't you think? I do. Despite being a Father, a Husband with a Full Time job and a full courseload for Graduate School, he still finds time to work the blog. THANKS!

Happy Birthday to my little Sis, Lori Belle! Thanks for your help too!

Happy Trails and Stay Tuned

Jason Bivin aka TDS.

Totally Different Subject

2 comments:

Rebecca Leonard said...

I'm glad to hear you like the Adirondack Park. It's the largest protected forest in the world. We have a camp on Lake Champlain and just love it. Good luck with your journey, I get tired just thinking about it! Take care.

Jamie Mierau said...

What an amazing trip you have planned! I had the great fortunate of paddling a small section of the Northern Forest Canoe Trail recently as part of a stewardship work trip. We were on the beautiful Nulhegan & Connecticut. You can read about my all-too-brief experience on my blog at http://blog.americanrivers.org/wordpress/index.php/2007/07/09/ever-heard-of-the-northern-forest-canoe-trail/