Monday, June 18, 2007

Harper's Ferry, West Virginia

Hello friends and the occasional reader.

From the Hostel at Harpers Ferry I type to let you know that I have officially reached the pychological half way point- Harpers Ferry, WV, mile: 1009. The real half way point is around Pine Grove Furnace state park. A great place. I remember it well. Pace realizing he had giardia and I walked out in a downpour to wake up the next morning with lymes. But Pine Grove here I come!

It is nice crossing a state line. I have been in Virginia since May 5th'ish. West Virginia today, Maryland tomorrow and Pennsylvania up the road. Some folks don't look forward to Pennsylvania. I do. No huge climbs, lots of great people, a few rocks, some great state parks and one state closer.

The roller coaster was real fun. Really. Thanks, I needed that.

My favorite hostel on the trail- Bears Den Hostel was a great, great success. Queen Diva was in the house and good times were had by all. We got to visit into the evening, past hikers midnight. This hostels' construction is of stone and was built in the 1930's as a summer home. It looks like a castle and sits on a nice estate just off the Appalachian Trail. While this hostel hosts hikers they also take many other guests who use cottages, campsites or the grounds. It was so great to see and catch up with Queen Diva. We had so much fun at Circuit Riders expense. haha.

Number 314. The number I was given at the Appalachian Trail Conservancy was 314. I was hoping for 356 1/2. I had no idea how many other hikers are in front of my until I began looking through this years hiker atc photos. I pulled the 2005 book out and reminisced as the faces of yesteryear reappeared. My picture in 2005 was not much different than this year. Well, then I had no facial hair. Now, I wear a beard that might get me into the band ZZ Top. It felt good to be back at the ATC here in Harpers Ferry.

Tomorrow, I leave with plans of getting through Maryland and to Duncannon pretty quickly. Duncannon and Palmerton are two PA towns I can not wait to visit. In Duncannon, a definite day or two or three stay with Pat and Vicky of the Doyle. Hey Trail Angel Mary! Can't wait to see you. Rob says HELLO!!!! Then to Palmerton- the friendliest town on the trail.

Last night I saw the biggest black bear I have ever seen. He walked across the trail in front of me. Not really walking, a little faster, kind of like he was skuffing his feet. Once he noticed me, he sped to a gallup and cut up the hill on a diagonal line. I could hear the rocks underneath him flop under his footsteps. He moved very gracefully and covered a lot of ground fast. I decided that an attempt to photogragh him would not only be fruitless, I'd miss him trying to set up for the shot. So I watched him bounce up the hill. Towards the top, he was catapulting himself up rock ledges. Very cool. These bear are very agile and fast and beautiful. I consider myself very fortunate to have been able to observe this.

The temperatures are hot. Please send the Swedish Bikini team and the ice cold beer to: General Delivery, Attn: Totally Different Subject and friends, Appalachian Trail, GA to ME, 21740

More later. Good to be travelling with Not Yet, Mr Ease, White Crow, No Problem. Hunting Earthquake, Hungus, Rio and Hemlock. Waiting for Circuit Rider, Sherlock, Not Guilty, Scholar...etc.

Happy Trails and Love,Totally Different Subject.

No comments: