Saturday, June 16, 2007

From June 12

TDS provided this update on June 12.

Hello from Front Royale,VA, Quality Inn.

The Shenandoah National Park was everything I wanted it to be. I was able to meander through the park from June 4 to June 11. In the park along the way I saw much wildlife, met old friends, ran into new friends, walked along beautiful trail, ate great food, ate alot of food and had a Great Birthday Party with friends at Big Meadows Tap Room.

I must say that no black bears made themselves visual during the park. While I did hear them at times and saw the red of their eyes while night hiking, no bear siting. No poisonous snake sitings. But I did see a skunk, several momma turkeys with their young, nonvenomous snakes, FLYS, deer, deer, deerl birds and of course hiker trash.

The days are getting hotter and we seem to wake up every morning with the same weather forcast- highs upper 80's with a 30% chance of scattered thunderstorms. A little rain fell during this part of the hike.

The sunsets and sunrises have been amazing and I have had the fortune of seeing many.
Some of my favorite part of trail in Virginia is the trail near cliffs. Being out on a cliff gives you a chance to see out, sometimes far, get the most of a breeze and sometimes just a break from the green tunnel. The cliffs have different flora and fauna and they all seem more fragile as they are more exposed.

At Lost Mountain wayside and campground Not Yet and Train rounded the corner as I was about to hit the trail. I hiked with both these guys back in 2005. Not Yet is hiking this year and we have been hiking since the Shenandoahs. Train is at home with his new baby girl. Train found out while on the trail then that he and his wife Crystal were going to be a Mommy and Daddy. Train, elated spent the next month or so hiking North before heading back to Virginia to celebrate the new member. We hung out the following day and did some trail magic for hikers and Not Yet. Matterhorn from back away caught up and it was great to see him then and through the rest of the Shenys. Earthquake, Couch and Hungus are several days ahead and its just White Crow and I here In Front Royale thinking about getting in the swimming pool.
Next stop Harpers Ferry, WV. I look forward to visiting the folks at the ATC and then getting on up the road through historic Maryland and then through, one of my favorites, PA. Palmerton, Duncannon here I come!!! Pat and Vicky, White Crow and I are innocent, we promise.

Thanks Granite Gear, OR Products, Etowah Outfitters, LEKI. Thanks Rob, Ricky and everyone else making this dream the best.

I am really looking forward to a quick break from the AT to paddle the new 740 mile historic waterway from Old Forge, NY to Fort Kent, ME. This endeavour ought to take 35-50 days, roughly... The excitement of this challenge is overwhelming me and of course the thought of water on these hot summer VA days...

Happy Trails,

Love,
Totally Different Subject.

No comments: