Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Damascus, Virginia, Part II

Hello again. Two posts in one day....

Congratulations PACE on your successful surgery. I wish you a speedy recovery and look forward to see your cool scar one day. American Spirits is back in my pack as a staple. Now, if I only had a 1 lb stainless steel cig roller.

Unfortunately, the Keen Targhees I purchased in Hot Springs, NC were not the right shoe. In fact, the shoes only held together for about 100 miles. The toe plates began to delaminate and receed from the body of the shoe. Next, the glued on nobs of the sole began to come off. It is too bad this shoe does not have a one-piece molded Vibram sole. If these shoes did, they would be the best thing on the AT outside of a real hiking boot. The waterproofing works fast. The shoes are comfortable. The toe plate helps keep the pain down when bumping rocks. I won't use these shoes for anything but "urban hiking" until they goto a Vibram sole that is one piece, not little pieces glued to a bigger piece. I have gone with the Montrail- Hard Rocks.

From Damascus, I am bouncing all winter gear: gaitors, long johns, base layer shirt, one pair socks (actually they are being thrown away) and some smaller items. Before long, I will go with my summer bag and should then always be under 30 lbs. Yee haw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No bears or snakes but I am eagerly waiting. More pileated woodpeckers hopefully are waiting and some deer would be nice to see.

With respect to my attempt at thru-paddling the NFCT...My plan is to hike as far as I can get by the end of June. I am hoping this mark will at least be Delaware Water Gap, but it would be nice to have gotten through NY and NJ. From there, I will get to Old Forge, NY and begin my paddle around July 4th'ish... Many have said they would like to come paddle and I am hoping everyone will have the opportunity. I would then complete the paddle by Mid-August or so and then come back and finish my thru hike of the AT. A canoe and some gear is what I am lacking. But my team is working on that aspect as I type. As I hike North and as the time ticks away the dream of this paddle becomes more intense. The time is nearing and my level of anxiety is growing.
I hope to visit with NFCT staff in the coming weeks. And I appreciate the advise and logistical help they have provided. Please check out their website to learn more of the trail: http://www.northernforestcanoetrail.org/


Finally, I am enjoying the hike. The weather has not been too tough and the trail seems easier this time around. To meet the great people, we get to out here, daily has always seemed to restore my faith in humanity. I love the brotherhood, the camradiere, the work, the accomplishments, the challenges, the experiences and yes, at dinner time, I love some sort of Liptons noodles...We are truly blessed to be here, walking.

Thanks to Rob, Carlynn for your expertise and time spent helping. I could never thank you enough. Thanks to Mom and Dad. Thanks to Team Portland- Bricklayer, Cross Stitch, Hi Pockets, Green Bean, JO and PACE. Your care packages are helping and I love the little things like earplugs and plastic bags to put Mountain Home dinners in, etc.

Thanks LEKI! Each time I post a journal entry I could probably tell of another story where your poles saved my life or from injury. You have a life long customer. I look forward to seeing you all at Traildays!

Thanks Granite Gear! Your Nimbus Ozone is carrying my weight like a champ. A few holes and tears but the pack still rides like a charm. It may need some washing one day. haha. Keeping building great products and I look forward to seeing you at Trail Days in 2007!

Thanks Chef Paul/ Etowah Outfitters! Great, simple, functional products for the long distance hiker. I now have about 1500 miles on your alcohol stove and nearly 3500 miles on your sil nylon stuff sack/ backpack. See you at Trail Days.

Take care, Happy Trails and Best wishes,Love,Totally Different Subject, TDS
Totally Different Subject

No comments: