Wednesday, May 2, 2007

Damascus, Virginia -- Part I

Greetings Hiking fans and how are you today?

From Damascus, VA, Mile: 459.5.

Thanks for all the guestbook entries! It is so nice to hear from so many folks. And yes, I will try to be more consistent with posting journal entries.

The weather is warming and reminding me that Summer is not too far off. However, the mornings and evenings are cool and those breezes come at the most opportune time. With the warming weather the green color is showing through Winter's litter. The birds are out and provide fantastic shows during a trailside break. I have seen a pileated woodpecker already and these are my second favorite trail birds. My favorite is the loon.

While walking along the trail, up a ridgeline, I noticed leaves covering the ground. Not a big deal, right? Because there are leaves everywhere. Well, these leaves were alive with noise. Noise that sounded like you were broadcasting fertilizer pellets atop these leaves. What in the world could this noise be I wondered? I sure could not see what was making the noise...until I bent down and noticed that the noise was being made by new grasshoppers jumping around as they heard me walk by.

My last post was from Erwin, TN. Now, live from Damascus, VA I update the blog. As you may already know, leaving Erwin, TN is always hard to do. As difficult as it is to pull ones self from Ms. Janet's takes some discipline. Ms. Janet is doing great and it was a treat to see her again. Always a great time and a great experience had in Erwin.

SPOONMAN, a great friend, who I hiked with in 2005 called on April 20 to let me know he was coming up to visit. He drove up from Spartenburg, SC and we had a ball catching up. Spoon got his pack ready and we left for the trail. We hiked and talked for an hour or so and then chose an ideal campsite for the night. It was great catching up with Spoonman and to hear how things were in his life. I hope to see Spoonman again at TrailDays.

The following day got a late start. It was a bit sad to see Spoonman have to hike back the opposite direction. And I could tell he was saddened to have to go back. The climb up lead me atop Unaka Mountain. What a special place it is here. The top of the mountain was covered up with Hemlocks. Once inside the canopy, I noticed how much darker it was than just a few minutes before. Complete silence was what I heard. Sitting down gave me a chance to realize how insignificant I am in relation to these woods.

Before I arrived just shy of Unaka Mountain the day before, I crested a bald named- Beauty Spot. And very appropriately named. There were a few hikers that stayed. A meteor shower occured that evening and although I watched the skies from my sleeping bag I could not tell you that I was seeing a meteor shower but the stars were crystal clear as the sky.

You know, the great thing about hiking this trail over and over is the opportunities you get to see everything in any kind of weather. For instance, in 2005 when I went up and over Roan Mountain the weather was cold, rainy and windy. I remember seeing BAMA and NEMO (AT 04, PCT 06) up there doing trail magic. I was soaked, couldn't see anything, no views, and did not really even want to stop and visit. This time around, the weather was beautiful! I could see so much of what I missed the first time. Heck, I even made the side trip to the shelter, which is very, very nice. IT was a little chilly up there but comfortable.

I bypassed Overmountain Shelter this time but the hike up Round Bald and Jane Bald provided wonderful 360 panoramic views. We are still in the Roan Highlands area and the balds and the grass and straight uphill trails are breathtaking. I found myself stopping to snap photos often. Again, the scenery from Hump and Little Hump Mountains are difficult to define.

HUNGUS, EARTHQUAKE and I have been hiking together for the last couple of weeks. Great guys...even if they are from Jersey. Hahaha. Just kidding as I love New Jersey. Hungus had arranged a ride from US321/ Hampton, TN back to Hot Springs, NC for Trail Fest. Of course, the days leading up to the hitch I was planning on heading North but when BOBBY and RAMBLER arrived with a Suburban full of food, well, I headed back with the gang to Trail Fest.

Trailfest was great! Thanks Jack Colton, Hot Springs and everyone else who made it a great time. It was nice to see DOMINO, NOONIN, SEEKER, SUNSHINE, BIRDY/ MUSCRAT (The Honeymooners) from 2005. I never actually got to meet The Honeymooners so it was such a treat to meet and get to visit with them. Oh yea, I got to meet some great 2007 Thru hikers that are now behind. Great seeing NICOLE and CERTAIN. Nicole, I hope you are feeling better. PERSISTANT, I love your trail name!

Back on the trail, and just one zero day. Note, I have only taken 4 thus far which is less than I had taken, at the same time, back in 2005. The hike around Watauga Lake ensued. The lake had filled and the color of the water seemed almost emerald like.

A reroute from TN91, wound us up the trail through an old cattle farm. The trail was cut through fields of grass and we hiked past old barns, chicken houses and feed boxes. HUNGUS, EARTHQUAKE and I breaked near the corral and thought that we had enough water to stay here over night. On to the next water source...

19.2 miles into Damascus, VA. Began at 6:03am and I was able to break camp in 20 minutes, which is a record. The first thing I ate was a big chefs salad smothered in buttermilk ranch dressing, several pieces of pizza (compliments of Spaghetti-Oh no AT 06) and several Pepsi's. When do we get back to Coca Cola country?

Why do my socks smell like amonia? If you have an idea, please respond.

End of Part I.

I hope that everyone is fine.

Happy Trails, TDS

Totally Different Subject

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

TDS wrote, "Why do my socks smell like amonia? If you have an idea, please respond."

From what I’ve read, it could be the result of protein metabolism or dehydration. During prolonged, exhaustive exercise, skeletal muscle generates ammonia from oxidation of branch chain amino acids (BCAAs) to make ATP. When you don’t consume enough carbohydrates, the body has to start breaking down dietary protein for fuel. In addition to arising from a high rate of amino acid oxidation, ammonia may be formed during exercise as a result of degradation of adenine nucleotides, i.e., ATP -> ADP -> AMP ->IMP + NH4+.

Another explanation is that the ammonia smell is coming from urea in your sweat. The normal way is to excrete urea (CO(NH2)2) is in the urine. If the kidneys can't handle the load, perhaps due to dehydration, you may sweat ammonia (NH3).

At least you have a good reason for why your socks might smell funny after a long hike. Now, if only I could come up with a good excuse for why my socks smell like sour cream and corn chips after a long day!

Spike