Tuesday, September 4, 2007

August 29, 2007

Oh what a beautiful morning...its 8:35am, still in camp. A ranger stopped by early, we visited, she wrote me a permit and I paid five dollars. For this, I do not mind paying. Muskrat dancing in the water last night under a full moon. A big bull moose is having breakfast not 200 feet away.

I heard what sounded like swimming. I walked down to the shore and could not see anything. With camera in hand I started walking to the noise. Sure enough, across the river was ol big bull eating. He heard me, and looked in my direction. I took some photos and let him be.

Two guys in a motor boat with buckets (probably loaded with food scraps to bait bear for upcoming hunt) scooted by and spooked him off back into the woods. I was then about to hit the water and hoped he and I might visit. No such luck.

They do an excellent job maintaining campsites up here!

A nice swift paddle down the Penobscot should be expected according to the ranger. Chesunook Lake is down, which could create some issue getting to mud carry, a 1.9 miles portage into Chamberlain Lake, the southern Allegash region. If Umbazooksus stream is low and not navigable, there is Longley Street road to Umbazooksus Lake and then mud carry portage.

6pm. Dinner time, camped at Longley stream campsite on Chesuncook Lake. Winds of south today. This made paddling down the Penobscot a breeze. It made paddling chesuncook wobbly.

Saw my 2nd bull moose today, just shy of long pine campsite today. He was big. He did not stay in the water long. After a good look at me he climbed out of the river and walked the bank until back in the woods. Great pics. It has been so awesome happening upon these moose. They truly are large and in charge.

The flies are horrible at this site. What a nuisance these bastids are! Have not seen them so thick since the pct.

Saw osprey, bald eagle, moose, Canadian geese and other birds.

Sunny today and few clouds.

Near the end of the Penobscot and beginning of Chesuncook Lake the winds picked up and created jerky water. Waves behind me and to the side. I decided to call it a day and get off the water.

Boiled water today, for lunch and dinner. Not sure how potable the Penobscot was and this lake is low and I would bet the quality, also not potable. To save what fuel I have left, I used a campfire to boil water and make dinner. If boiling proves to not be enough, well, I have a script of flagil.

Will have to ration food, especially snacks. About 120 miles left and five days, maybe five and a half rations. Never seem to get these long stretches right. Too much or too little.

Some clouds are moving in. I suppose some rain is due.

Excellent view of Mt. Katahdin today, upon hitting the lake. Can’t wait to be there looking down!

Getting back to katahdin and or my truck in Rockwood, ME has been on my mind. If I could get back without having to wait, I could summit katahdin by September 10. If this can be accomplished then I will be five days ahead of schedule.

Allegash tomorrow! Yee haw!

The sound of waves crashing against the beach will make soothing sleeps. What beautiful country this is and what fortune I must hold to be here breathing it all in.

Happy trails,
Totally different subject

No comments: